Saturday, September 25, 2010

The most significant impact this module has on me

Wow! I am thrown off my chair after the first lesson. Today my mindset toward teaching and learning Mathematics has changed drastically. Firstly, understanding the outcomes of doing mathematics, secondly the approach to teaching Mathematics and lastly Mathematics can be fun.
Outcome of teaching Mathematics to the children as stated by MOE; is the vehicle for the development and improvement of a person’s intellectual competence and it is applicable in everyday living and in the workplace. Mathematics is a subject of enjoyment and excitement. This will be my goals for teaching Mathematics.
Many theories were covered in this module and the one strike me most is Jerome Bruner’s CPA theory. This is especially applicable for preschoolers as they need the concrete experiences and this ties to the three big ideas in teaching Mathematics; that is visualization, patterning and number sense.
I was never interested in Mathematics least being challenged to attempt to take on Mathematics as being fun. But this module helps me to visualize patterns in Mathematics and it was challenging seeing it. Once found, a sense of achievement is felt. Once the feeling of accomplishment is felt, one will build confidence in future's attempts and that will lead to perseverance of wanting to continue to attempt and the resilience to want to try although failing. This module has opened me to the use of technology and I am now addicted to playing Mathematics games. See how I use ‘playing’ and not doing Mathematics because it’s fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment