Sunday, September 5, 2010

EDU 330 Elementary Mathematics – Lesson 1

I have lost touch with how primary school Mathematics is taught as my own children left school many years ago. I was told by some of my student’s parents that Maths nowadays is like solving IQ problems and is no longer straight forward. I can understand what they meant by IQ maths after watching the video on the problem Dr Yeap posted to the students and how he brought them through and finally helped them to solve the problem.
I noticed that the three problems given by Dr Yeap are not problems that can be simply taught to the students. It requires a skilled teacher to help the individuals be able to internalise the process while applying the skills and concepts learnt.
Today’s lesson gave me a new perspective towards teaching Mathematics, it is as said in the Singapore Primary Mathematics Curriculum (MOE  2006), it is a vehicle for the development and improvement of a person’s intellectual competence in logical reasoning, spatial visualisation, analysis and abstract thought. No wonder the students’ parents are calling it IQ maths. 

3 comments:

  1. Math lessons before is different from lessons today. Higher math is taught in school and new methods and techniques are now discuss. The old math lessons is no longer taught. As parents we should take part in the learning process of our children.




    Jojo @ Math Work Sheets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am for sure returning again for more contents of yours.
    ppi claims credit cards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be pleased if all WebPages provided such articles.
    ppi claims credit cards

    ReplyDelete